Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My Mother's Bible

I love it that my Dad keeps Mom’s Bible. It’s the one he chooses to read and take to church. It may be because he lost his Bible or that it's worn out or something, which is believable, but I’m going with the other guess—that he just likes keeping Mom’s Bible.


It’s a genuine Schofield, leather bound Bible with F. Willine Maxson stamped on the front. Now that’s a narrative all by itself. (I want to insert something here about a God, Schofield, and Mom trifecta that informs and empowers Dad’s ministry but I probably shouldn’t.)



I’ve always thought that, together, Mom and Dad represented what is good about American Evangelicalism. Dad studied at Wheaton, Dallas, and Fuller. Mom went to Moody Bible Institute. In short, it's like Luke 10:27 (Love God with your heart, soul, mind, strength and your neighbor as yourself) was institutionalized and then operationalized through Jim and Willine Maxson. I still think about that whenever I see him with her Bible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just ran across your blog and have really been enjoying reading it this afternoon. Pastor Jim was certainly a big part of my life growing up--he baptized me and married me. I just had to comment about Willene's Bible--your entry raised goosebumps on my arms from emotion. She was quite a lady, and Mom's good friend, and Mom still misses her. I always remember her Texas accent and her beautiful complexion. I've enjoyed seeing the pictures of your families also. Hi to Robin and Louise, Rachel, and Rick, and Pastor Jim.
Dianne Clark Dibiaso
ddibiaso@aol.com